The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Three Cheese Risotto

This is an incredibly rich risotto - and worth every minute of the 20 minutes you have to stand there stirring.  Really good stuff.  Put this in a pasta bowl, spoon some Osso Buco over it...OMG it is to die for.  Actually, I could make a meal of this with not much else...but I always make it when I make Osso Buco.  It's a perfect complement.  Be sure you only try this with arborio rice...the longer grains just don't work!


Found this recipe online in 2003...it says it came from a website called Culinary Cafe.  "Thanks" to them, because it is an awesome recipe!




THREE CHEESE RISOTTO

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
Salt and white pepper
6 cups chicken stock (have made with beef stock - even more rich)
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 pound Arborio rice
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Method:

In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, add the olive oil.  When the oil is hot, add the onion and season with salt and pepper.  Saute for 3 minutes, or until the onions are slightly soft.  Add the stock and garlic.  Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cook for 6 minutes.  Add the rice and simmer for 18 minutes, stirring constantly, or until the mixture is creamy and bubbly. (check for doneness with a small bite of the rice).  Add the butter, cream, cheeses, and chives.  Re-season to taste with salt and pepper.  Simmer for 2 minutes and serve immediately.

Serves 8-10 (I don't know who's house she is from, but it wouldn't serve 10 of my people!)

Now, you'll notice, she doesn't use the traditional risotto method....where you heat the broth in a separate pan, saute the rice in with the olive oil and onions, add the stock by ladle-full, stirring until it is incorporated, more broth, stir, more broth, stir...yada yada yada.  I've done it both ways.  Something inside me makes me need to do it the traditional way.  Frankly, though, I don't see a huge difference...and it's one more pan to wash.  So, the last couple of times, I've just done it her way...and it's been great! (uh, I don't know why I assume it's a "her"...)

I hope you enjoy the risotto as much as I, and my family, does.  I've served this to guests as well...always heard accolades.  It is really delicious!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!