The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A DARN GOOD SAMICH!

Every so often we like to have a sandwich that is more than a couple of pieces of sliced bread with lunch meat slapped in the middle.  My favorite sandwich, on such a day, is what I call my "Damn Darn Good Samich".

I just made one yesterday for my husband and myself...and it was lip-smacking scrumptious - very full of flavor!  This is not an insipid sandwich!

Start out with a roll-type bread...I use Bolillos - whole wheat specifically - Kaiser rolls are great too.  Slice in half and place on a baking sheet.  Kick the broiler on so it will be ready when you are.

I spread some softened butter on the inside of one piece and sprinkle with garlic powder.  I spread Hellman's Dijonnaise on the inside of the other piece (it's not always easy to find, but it's basically Dijon mustard and mayonnaise mixed together).  If I am out of Dijonnaise, I tend to just use yellow mustard.

Mustard on one side, garlic butter on the other
Next comes two different cheeses - generally I cover one side with cheddar or Colby-Jack cheese (I put it on the mustard side) and on the other side I put a white cheese - today it was Havarti because that's what was available in my fridge - but Swiss or Provolone are excellent choices too.  Put them in the oven under the broiler and gently melt the cheese and lightly toast the bread.

The cheese toppings - ready for broiler
Melted cheese on bolillo
A good amount of deli meat - thinly sliced
Remove from oven and layer on 2 different kinds of deli meats - ham on one side and chicken or turkey on the other side is the way I usually go.  If you are a salami fan, that's a great addition to this sandwich as well.  Today, I used Boar's Head Brand EverRoast© Chicken and HEB-brand Black Forest Ham.  If you like, stick them under the broiler for a moment.  I tend to just leave the meats cold.

Top with lettuce, tomato, ripe avocado slices, and thinly sliced purple onion...a sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Sometimes, I add some sliced black olives and/or pepperocini slices...depends on how kicked up I feel like making it.  Slice in half and serve!  Yummmmm.....

And, that, my friends, is one darn good samich!
Avocado, purple onion, tomato...lettuce added too
Sorry about the blur - I snapped it, ate it, and THEN looked at the photos.  Oops!


BON APPETIT, Y'ALL!!!
StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!