The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Sunday, January 30, 2011

EASY BANANA PUDDING

Photo Source:  Google Images
Not exactly like mine - but somewhat close
I have made this recipe so many times I can't count - it is the BEST banana pudding I've found next to my Mom's... and she makes her own custard.... and I've never been able to get a good grip on custard (I'm still trying though!).  My good buddy, Janean, gave me this recipe.  It's easy, rich, and deliciously Southern tasting.

Banana pudding is a quintessential Southern dessert most often found at barbeque joints, diners, and any good potluck supper or church social!  Some have meringue toppings, some whipped cream...the ones I've eaten have all had layers of Nilla Wafers and slices of bananas....however your Mamma made it, is generally "your favorite" banana pudding.  I don't know why any of this is...but it just IS.

When I first saw my friend, Janean's, recipe and saw "sour cream" as an ingredient, I though "huh?", who would put sour cream in their banana pudding???  But I tried it...and let me tell you - you cannot taste the sour cream particularly, but it adds a big wow to the whole creamy texture of the dish and intensifies the depth of flavor.  It is the only one I make any more...and everyone loves it (even those kids of mine who don't like sour cream....shhhh, don't tell).

All of this is fast and easy and filled with off-the-shelf products...but I don't care.  It's some good stuff!

EASY BANANA PUDDING
by Janean Allen

Ingredients:

2 large boxes vanilla instant pudding
1 8 oz. container Cool Whip
1 8 oz. container sour cream
6 bananas
1 box Nilla Wafers
3 cups of milk
(Note, I buy the 12 oz container of Cool Whip and use 1/3 of it for topping)

Method:

Mix pudding, milk, Cool Whip, and sour cream with whisk or with a mixer (believe me, a mixer is easier to get it completely smooth).

First put down a thin layer of pudding mixture, then a layer of Nilla Wafers, then 3 bananas sliced up, a layer of pudding mixture - and then repeat, ending with the pudding.... confused?  Pudding, wafers, bananas, pudding, wafers, bananas, pudding.

I like to top it with plain whipped topping and put a few decorative Nilla Wafers in a pattern on top.  Just make sure every single banana is covered so they don't turn yucky.  I have also used 1 box of Vanilla Pudding and 1 box of Banana Pudding from time to time.  I like it both ways.

I prefer to make this in a clear glass serving dish - I use a trifle dish or a clear Pyrex baking dish.  That way you can see all the yummy layers.  You COULD top it with a meringue...but, I just like plain old whipped cream on my banana puddin' ... or Cool Whip - this is one of the times that Cool Whip is just fine with me!

Photo Source:  Google Images from TaraCooks.com
(apparently she makes hers from scratch!)
Refrigerate until ready to eat.  A couple of hours is good - softens the wafers just a tad and everything starts groovin' together.  The taste improves after a few hours of waiting!

Thanks Ms. Janean - for sharing such a great Southern classic...with a bit of a twist!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

StumbleUpon

3 comments:

  1. That looks DELICIOUS!!! For those who don't like bananas, here is an alternative:
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/tiramisu-bowl-106862.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tiramisu bowl looks delicious! I might try that quite soon!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that puddings look delicious that is my favorite foods .i will do that in my home. thanks for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!