The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roasted Balsamic Onions


The final recipe from Melssa d'Arabian's Today Show meal purported to be under $10...Roasted Balsamic Onions.  I love roasted onions and I love balsamic vinegar...I was hoping this dish would be a winner.

Her recipe calls for white onions - I bought yellow onions because they were significantly less expensive than the white onions.  I also only prepared 1 1/2 onions (the yellow ones were larger than the white ones)...the teen won't eat these (I knew that going in...but I always encourage a taste)...so I figured a half recipe would be more than sufficient. 
Here's the recipe...

ROASTED BALSAMIC ONIONS
by Melissa d'Arabian

Ingredients:

3 large white onions, peeled and quartered
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, toss the onion quarters with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, and season with salt and pepper.

Tossing in sauce before roasting
Place in an ovenproof, large, nonstick skillet, spreading them out in an even layer.  Cover the skillet with aluminum foil.  Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, and then remove the foil.  Toss the onions well to coat with the reduced balsamic glaze and put back in the oven to roast another 20 to 25 minutes.  Serve warm.

She didn't say to put the foil back on for the last 20-25 minutes, so I didn't.  I figured this would be necessary to reduce the liquid to a syrupy state.

If you are serving this with the braised pork - and the polenta, plan out the timing....
Start the ribs first, get the polenta going next, both of those take slightly over 2 hours total cooking time.
These onions take just under an hour, so obviously, start them 1 hour into the process. 
If the wind is blowing your way, your meal should be complete all at the same time.

My thought is that I used too small of a pan - these would have been better if they were cooked a little more...the small pan I used (since I only did 1/2 recipe) didn't allow them to be in a single layer.  Also, the sauce did not get syrupy as indicated.  With more surface area for roasting, that would have likely happened as well.

The flavor was good - but a little too much crunch for me - I would have liked these a LOT had they been more roasted!  A point in their favor...the polenta and braised pork ribs were so rich that the tartness of the balsamic onions cleansed the palate a bit - it was a good choice for balancing out the dishes being served.

Want to find out what we had for dessert?  Stop by tomorrow...a simple and delicious upside down apple tart...called Flash In A Pan!!!


Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!