The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, November 22, 2010

Bacon Cheese Bread Bowl

Lots of people like to serve an hors d'oeuvre while folks are waiting for the final preparation of the Thanksgiving dinner.  Lots of us eat in the middle of the afternoon, long after breakfast, and the masses might need a little snack while they wait.  There's always the healthy crudite tray...but, if you are looking for something to wow the crowds, you might consider this recipe.

My friend of over 30 years, Pamlets, gave me this recipe after I sampled it at one of her fun Ornament Exchange parties.  It was "eyes rolled back in the head" good.  I wish I'd gotten the recipe for ALL of her hors d'oeuvres...because they were all delicious!  She's definitely a hostess with the mostest.  Hopefully, she won't mind my sharing this delectable warm appetizer recipe.  It's a GREAT addition to anyone's appetizer table!  I know my family loved it...my notes show I served it for Christmas Eve appetizers in 2003 - geez, I'm anal about keeping lists of what I serve...  Whatever!!!  As Popeye said, I yam what I yam :-)

BACON CHEESE BREAD BOWL

INGREDIENTS:

1 loaf Round Hawaiian Bread (cut off top and scoop out bread - save top)
1 package Bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (I used a 12-14 ounce package - I use a regular or thin  slice,not thick, as it is easier to crisp and crumble)
8 ounces Colby Jack cheese (grated)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 small onion chopped (I would say, finely chopped)
1 clove garlic chopped (or 2 tablespoons if using prepared) - that's what the recipe say...but one clove of garlic is a lot less than 2 Tbsp - so maybe she meant 2 teaspoons...I made it with a fresh garlic clove - a large one - finely minced.

METHOD:

Mix all ingredients together and add to bread bowl.  Place top on bread bowl and cover (wrap) with aluminum foil.  Put on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  If still not quite hot enough after baking time finishes - can put in microwave for a minute or two.

Serve with crackers or, my preference, toasted baguette rounds.  This is scrumptious!!!

Bon Appetit Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!