The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cinnamon Roll-Ups ala Emily B.

Cinnamon Roll-Ups with dipping Syrup
We have a group of friends who have been together for about 15 years because we all have deaf children.  The friendships formed by a special common bond brings together very different individuals, who are, basically the same at the core... just good people trying to make a good place in the world for our kids.  I think we've done a fine job of that task!  One of the things we promised each other, as we began spreading to different areas of Texas, was that we would continue to get together - even if the kids grew up and away.

We've been very good about getting together at least once in the summer and once during the Christmas season - and our gatherings always have one theme in common (besides lots of gabbing of course) and that is good food!  Everyone brings something to share and I've yet to have a bad offering at one of our gatherings!  The food is always spectacular and overwhelming in quantity.  No one goes hungry, that's for sure!

This morning it is a little chilly at the coast (one of our token cold fronts has blown in) - the palm trees are rustling in the north wind - it's a nice 65 degrees, and it's put me in the mood to be in the kitchen.  I started looking through my recipe book for something Fallish to bake.  I found a piece of paper laying loose that had a recipe from a brunch we had summer-before-last...and since I happened to have most of the ingredients, I decided to make these and freeze them for future availability.

They are incredibly simple - but oh so delicious!  It seems like the kind of recipe someone might have invented in the 60s...and it is still good today.  A friend's daughter Emily, her friend, her sister, and her Dad,  brought these to the brunch and it was the item I kept going back for - as did everyone else.  I think it was the first plate to be finished off!  They talked about how fun it was to make together.  It seems like a recipe a family could easily make together if desired.  Little ones can roll the pastries in the cinnamon sugar with little effort.

I hope Em doesn't mind me sharing the recipe on my blog (I'm sure I'll hear about it if she does - Emily - you can see the comments section at the bottom, right?).  

before baking
It's a great recipe idea for the upcoming holidays - you can make them now, freeze them, and pop them in the oven on Thanksgiving morning for a tasty breakfast snack.  These and a side of bacon would make for a happy breakfast in my household.



The recipe, as Emily gave it to me, calls for white sandwich bread...and I almost never eat white bread (I love it, but I try to eat wheat bread instead).  I tried it with HEB's Bake Shop Whole Wheat bread and baked off a couple to make sure it would be an acceptable replacement.  It's really good!  A little QA is always a good thing when changing up a recipe...I will say that white bread was better though.  Also, I didn't use the syrup at the party...didn't even notice it was there until I saw the recipe Em sent to me!  OMG - even better with syrup!  These are just a great tasting pastry, with great texture.  Thanks Ms. Emily - you rock!!!

Cinnamon Roll-Ups

24 slices of white sandwich bread with crust removed
8 oz cream cheese softened
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - separated
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter - melted

Roll the bread flat with rolling pin - really flat
Mix cream cheese, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup of the sugar.
Spread on bread and roll very tight. (I put about 1 1/2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixture on each slice of bread)
Mix remaining sugar (1 1/4 cup) and the cinnamon in small flat bottom dish (a soup bowl was perfect).
Brush each roll up with butter and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Arrange on baking sheet (or put in freezer if you are not going to serve until the next day).

ready for dipping!
When ready to serve, preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 15 minutes (if frozen) or less until golden brown (bake less time if not frozen - these were done for 12 minutes).

Serve with syrup.


These were awesome - I'll be so glad to have these in my freezer for one of the holiday mornings when I'm busy and don't want to have to do a thing but pop something in the oven.  Bon Appetit, y'all!!!
StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!