The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dirt Cake

My friend, Sandy, made this back in the late 80's and early 90's, and it is so delicious that I've decided to make it in a clear trifle dish for one of our upcoming parties.  Normally, Sandy served it in a lined flower pot because the topping of crushed Oreos looks like dirt (hence the name).  Sandy used to put a silk flower in the middle.  It was always a hit when she brought it to a pot luck or for someone's birthday at work.

It's not really a cake at all - it's more like a creamy rich pie with oreo layers instead of crust.  I think it will be a pretty presentation in a trifle bowl with the "dirt" layers visible instead of hidden in the flower pot.  I don't have a picture, because I haven't made it yet...the party's a few weeks out.  However, I'll post it as soon as I do.  It's a delicious concoction and so easy to make, you'll love it! 

I just wanted to share it now - in case you need an EXTRA Thanksgiving dessert - you might want to give this great no-cook treat a try!

DIRT CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
2 small packages Oreos (I'm not sure they come in large and small any longer - so I'm going to buy 2 of the only package I see on the shelf these days - I can save left-over crumbs for another recipe)
2 8-ounce packages Cream Cheese - softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter (4 Tbsp) - softened
1 small package Instant Chocolate pudding
1 small package Instant French Vanilla pudding
2 3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
12 ounces Cool Whip

METHOD:
Crush cookies - set aside. (Use food processor OR a Ziploc gallon-size bag and crush with your wooden rolling pin)
In small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, and sugar.
In large bowl, mix puddings, vanilla extract, and milk.
Add creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
Add Cool Whip and mix thoroughly.

Layer cookie crumbs and pudding mixture - ending with cookies.

(Line flower pot and decorate with silk flowers for serving alternative - makes it look like dirt)

Bon Appetit Y'all !!!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!