|"Cake Pops" by Bakerella aka Angie Dudley|
I found Bakerella's web site shortly after my sister's visit and have enjoyed surfing through it on a regular basis. I like her down-to-earth style of baking and writing. It made me feel like I, too, could make all of the yummies she has on her web site. I found her Facebook page and follow her there as well.
Not too long ago, I read that she had released a new book and I was THRILLED... ordered it immediately. Now that I've read it from cover to cover, I wanted to write a brief review of this book. It's about cake pops... which are, of course, cake balls on a stick!
Things I love:
- The photos are full color and fabulous.
- It is hard back with wire bound pages - which allows the book to lay flat on the kitchen counter. Yes! Why aren't all cookbooks this way?
- The pages are sturdy - I'm not worried I'm going to tear them.
- Each recipe is self-contained. That might seem repetitious to some, re-stating the process of making the cake ball to prepare the pops...but, frankly, for me it is perfect. I'm not having to flip back and forth.
- She clearly explains the techniques, provides tricks and tips, details supply resources, and decorating do's and don'ts.
If you want to make some stunning holiday treats - start practicing now. It's not quite as easy as it looks. I did find, though, that once I got going, I got better and better (you can see the first set are pretty messy and they got slightly better looking as I progressed). I finally found out, in her book, how to make them round and smooth, as well as how to get the messy edges off. I can't wait to try again now that I have a good reference book right in front of me! I'm hoping to graduate to cake pops instead of cake balls!
|My first batch - messy but delicious - Spice Cake Calls|
|They got tidier the more I made|
|The kid's favorites - they didn't care if they weren't neat - Oreo cookie balls|
If you love unusual dessert offerings, which are sure to wow your holiday guests, get this book right now! You'll need to practice!!! You can order this book online from Paragraphs on Padre Blvd. Shop local - it keeps our little island a happy place!!!
|Turkey Cake Pops by Bakerella|
|Cheery Christmas Trees from "Cake Pops" by Bakerella|