The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Cowboy Steak 'n' Veggie Soup

When a North wind is blowing, and the temperature feels like it is dropping...that says "cold front" to me!  (not often down here - but it does happen!)  Cold front means soup - not that the teen likes soup...but I'm ever hopeful he will expand his horizons.

I've made this recipe several times - it is a quick meal, warm and filling.  I found it eons ago in a listing of winners in some sort of recipe contest...the winner was Linda Morton, from Katy, Texas (down near Houston - and apparently she has won several contests).  I clipped this from the Austin American-Statesman way back when...and Ms. Morton won first place in the 30-minute main dishes category for whatever contest this was!  Wayyyy before the days of Rachael Ray and her 30 Minute Meals!

Anyway, it is a tasty soup and it's worth sharing...always good to have a 30 minute meal recipe on hand. 

COWBOY STEAK 'N' VEGGIE SOUP

1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak (1 inch thick)
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon oil
28 -32 oz canned beef broth
16 ounce jar Thick n Chunky Salsa or Picante Sauce (she used Old El Paso brand - I generally use Pace brand)
1 pound package frozen green beans, potatoes, onion, and red peppers (she used Green Giant)
1 can Great Northern beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup torn fresh spinach
Fresh basil, parsley, or cilantro sprigs for garnish if desired (cilantro works well if you like it)

Cut beef into 1/4 inch thick strips and then cut each strip into 1 inch lengths.  Must be this size for it to get cooked in the allotted time frame!  In medium bowl, combine beef, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and oil - toss to coat.

Heat Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium high heat until hot.  Add beef mixture, cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.

Stir in broth, salsa, and frozen vegetables.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to low, simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in beans.  Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.  Stir in spinach.

Garnish each serving of soup with fresh herbs if desired.

Serves 6

Now, I've mentioned before that I'm not a fan of frozen green beans.  They squeak on my teeth...and I can't stand it.  The first time I made this, I made it using the frozen vegetables...but the other times I used a can of green beans, drained, I peeled and small-cubed a large russet potato, and I keep frozen diced onion as a freezer staple (whenever I use half an onion, I chop and freeze the rest, therefore always having some on hand).  I skipped the red pepper...not a big fan.  This did not significantly increase the time and, in my opinion, ended up with a better soup - again, personal tastes can always be accommodated!

Try it either way...you might like frozen green beans!  It's a quick and tasty soup - however you end up fixin' it!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your recommendations in reference to the veggies. I actually have a copy of the Pillsbury Million Dollar Bake-Off small magazine that this recipe was in way back in 1996. I have kept it just for this recipe but was disappointed when a green Giant stopped selling American Mixtures listed in Linda's recipe. I decided to search online and see what I can find and came across this from you. Making tonight for my family with a side of cornbread!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!