The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, April 18, 2011

I FEEL BETTER ABOUT MY TORTILLAS...


I was watching a DVR'd Martha Stewart Show from April 11th, with guest Eva Longoria touting her new cookbook.  I was so thrilled that they were making tortillas so I could see what I did wrong regarding making the chips.  Eva is from San Antonio and I've seen her talking about her Mexican family upbringing where she learned to cook from many relatives...strong Southwest roots.  I also know she has a special-needs sister...they showed a photo of her Mom and sister making "ants on a log".  Loved it.  Even though I'm not a Desperate Housewives fan - I like her - she seems fairly down-to-earth. 

Anyway, I just had to share this.

I felt sooooo much better to see...

1.  She used the same brand of masa I used
2.  Martha's crew used the same trick I used - Ziploc bags cut open - to press the tortillas (I felt so smart for a few seconds :-)
3.  Eva said she NEVER fries her homemade corn tortillas to make chips because they are too thick and don't work well
4.  She said the ONLY time she buys commercial corn tortillas is to fry them...because they are so thin
5.  Eva put a freshly griddled tortilla up to her nose and inhaled...and I knew just what she was smelling...it's an awesome fresh corn tortilla smell... distinctive and unlike anything else.  Ahhhh.

I loved my homemade corn tortillas and was so disappointed in my chips and now I know why!  It wasn't just me.

I feel redeemed :-)

Just sayin'.StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!