The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

FANTASY FUDGE

My FB friend in New Zealand was bemoaning her ability to make good fudge.  I inquired if she had access to Marshmallow Creme because it has a great recipe for Fantasy Fudge that has never failed me.  No, no Marshmallow Creme in New Zealand.  I wondered if they could make their own...marshmallow cream.  However, that would require corn syrup...and I don't think they have that either. <big sigh>

Gosh we are spoiled here in the U.S. although I suspect true gourmands would not consider the ability to obtain corn syrup and marshmallow creme all that big of a plus :-)  Regardless, both are a staple in my baking pantry and I love them.  I can sit down with a spoon and polish off a half a jar of marshmallow creme without even blinking.  Ahhh, probably shouldn't admit that.

Since all this came up, I felt the need to make some fudge.  So, here's the Fantasy Fudge recipe straight from the Marshmallow Creme jar.  It's some good stuff.  I make it without nuts (old habit, my oldest doesn't like nuts and frankly I like just creamy fudge myself).  I'll sometimes put a pecan half on top for my hubby, but not inside.

I like that this fudge is soft and creamy and milk chocolaty tasting.
This recipe has never let me down so long as I used the candy thermometer!

FANTASY FUDGE
Recipe from Kraft

Ingredients:

3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 can (5 ounces) of evaporated milk
12 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate (I used Callebaut Semi-Sweet Chunks)
1 jar (7 ounces) Marshmallow Creme (Kraft Jet-Puffed brand)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts if desired (walnuts, pecans, whatever you like)

Method:

Line 9 inch square pan with foil (I used an 8 inch square pan because that's what I have).
Chunks of chocolate, sweet sticky marshmallow creme, and pure vanilla will
be added to a buttery sweet syrup.

The process begins by dumping together sugar, butter, and evaporated milk

Bring sugar, butter, and evaporated milk to rolling boil in large sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Melt, stir, melt, stir

Boil until reaches 234 degrees on candy thermometer (takes about 4-5 minutes after boil is reached), stirring constantly. (Do not walk away)
Rolling boil moving up to 234 degrees Fahrenheit

Remove from heat.
12 ounces of quality chocolate into the buttery sugary milky base syrup....smells awesome
The chocolate chunks are melting...but not quite there yet

Add chocolate and marshmallow creme, stir until melted.
7 ounces of marshmallow creme straight into a pot of fudgy chocolate

Mixing in the marshmallow creme...looks like rocky road without the rocks

Add vanilla and chopped nut (I did not use nuts)
This is like dipping into the Willy Wonka River of Chocolate

Pour into pan and allow to cool on counter top.
A 3 pound chunk of fudge...OMG!
Lift foil from pan after fudge is completely cooled.  I cut my fudge into squares with a bench scraper.  This is some creamy deliciousness right here folks.  My oh my!
Ready to plate some of those squares of fudge!

I can tell already, I'm going to have to get this out of my house.  I'll eat this until it's all gone and no amount of Zumba will scrape it off my ass.  Damn it.  Where's the calorie free fudge?????
The cook gets to lick the spoon - yummmmm


Bon Appetit, Y'all

Shared with:


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!