The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Where to Eat??? Cap'n Roys It Is!

New Year's Day night I hit a wall...I didn't want to cook or bake another thing over the next 24 hours.  My hubby was informed "kitchen closed" and he could either go get us some fast food or we could go out to eat someplace where I didn't have to get all fixed up :-)  I required "casual, no make-up, wild hair acceptability".  When we got back from the beach today I had scrubbed all the sand off my face, pulled back my hair and I didn't intend to change my attire other than moving from shorts to jeans as a nod to the dropping temperatures.  After running through potential options, he suggested Pier 19 since he hadn't been since he was home in October for Sand Castle Days.  Sounded good to me so off we went.  I don't know what we were thinking...lots of traffic on the island...Saturday night, a holiday, Winter Texans arriving, people in town for the Polar Bear Dip...lots of activity...lots of restaurant traffic.  The parking lot wasn't full - but it was more than half full...and it was too cold and windy for outdoor seating, so there was a 20 to 30 minute wait.  Wow, that was a first for us both - we've never had to wait there.  Oh well, no go for me.  I was hungry.  So, we moved on.

Next stop, Gabriella's....where I hadn't been since the end of October (I've been busily baking and testing recipes and prepping for holidays...not eating out so much).  Just passed on by...parking lot full.  We looked at each other and I said "this might not have been a good idea - but let's try Cap'n Roy's if that's okay with you, before we give up?"  He was good with that...he did the looking when we slowly drove past...looked okay to him...so we did the u-turn at the light and what a great decision that ended up being!  We got a table instantly, drink orders taken immediately...really good service for the entire evening.  We munched down two baskets of chips and salsa before feeling the "edge" taken off our hunger (we hadn't eaten since breakfast).  The staff kept our drinks topped off and everything replenished.  They seemed legitimately happy to be at work.  That's nice to see in a wait staff.

I had the beef enchilada plate...it was awesome as always.  My husband had decided on grilled shrimp tacos...and then made a quick change at the last minute to the fried shrimp platter with fries and a generous helping of their delicious fumi salad.  You can guess what the teen had...hamburger and fries. <sigh> By the looks of the 3 cleaned plates - I'd say everyone thought their meal was reallll good!

I'm so glad we ended up at Cap'n Roy's.  It was a perfect end to a good day.  Good food, good service, happy people.  Who could ask for anything more?

SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:

I'm bumping up their rating - everything has been so good the last few times I've been there...


4 – Lip smackin’ - good quality – flip flops will definitely be parked under their table again!
Cap'n Roy's on UrbanspoonStumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!