The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, January 24, 2011

New York Crumb Cake

Photo Source:  Google Images
I first saw this coffee cake being made on an old Martha Stewart program in 2001 or 2002.  I really liked the way it looked and thought my middle son would really enjoy it.  I've made it several times for him - and he's always appreciative.  He's the coffee cake lover in our family... although he doesn't drink coffee!  It's really good and not a lot of work.  The recipe was provided by Martha's friend, Sara Foster, of the Foster's Markets in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina (the link shows another market as well - in Chapel Hill).  She said it was a big seller at the bakery, and I can see why.

Here's the recipe I printed off in 2002!

NEW YORK CRUMB CAKE
by Sara Foster

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for pan
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Method:

1.  Place rack in center of oven, and heat oven to 325 degrees. 

Lightly brush a 9x12 1/2 inch baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour and tap to remove excess.  Set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a second bowl, whisk together egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. 

Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.

2.  Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside. 

In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. 

Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form. 

Sprinkle crumbs over batter.

3.  Transfer pan to oven, and bake, rotating pan after 10 minutes. 

Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean, about 10 minutes more.

4.  Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool. 

Dust with confectioners' sugar. 

Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares. 

Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

I think what my son likes best about this coffee cake is the streusel topping - it is nearly as thick as the cake part!  The cake itself has a dense crumb texture - not very sweet...the sweetness is in the topping.  I, personally, like a sweeter cake...but, this is what my son likes...so if I'm making a coffee cake, this is it 99% of the time! 

While surfing around the Foster's Market web site, I found the recipe for a New York Crumb Cake on the web site under a recipes link (along with a multitude of other fabulous looking dishes - I'll be marking that website as a "favorite").  It was different - made for a jelly roll pan - so I'll give you the link here in case you need "more" in quantity...but I'm blogging the recipe I have, because I've made it many times and know the results.

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!
StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!