The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Lemon Supreme Cake

The finished product!
Yesterday I spent the morning organizing my baking cabinet.  Time to ditch things that were expired, use things that would expire in the near future, and assess the rather large number of ingredients and tools I have acquired over the last few years.  When we moved to a condo, storage was my nemesis.  There simply wasn't enough to go around.  When we renovated our kitchen, we decided to add two new arrays of cabinets to accommodate pantry items and baking items and other things that hadn't found a home.

I was happy to recall that I had purchased the items to make a tasty  recipe my friend had given to me, but I had not made.  I clearly remember it was really delicious and exceptionally moist and very lemony...which is right up my alley.  I decided I would make it, using a new Bundt pan my oldest son gave me for Christmas instead of the typical 9x13 pan called for in Ara's recipe.  (I got lots of shaped pans for Christmas) I'm sure it will be fine to substitute.

I will take the finished cake over to Dolphin Whisperer, Scarlet Colley, to enjoy (and/or share) while she sweetly toils away at the garage sale to benefit  Gabriel Tree of Life Foundation's Trail of Trees at the South Padre Island Convention Center.  If you are in the area, stop by the garage sale this week-end (behind Veranda's Nursery off Garcia in Port Isabel ).  If you are not in the area, and desire to support this meaningful cause, there is a donation link and a "buy a tree" link on the website.  I have spent time in this beautiful area, photographing birds and butterflies and flowers.  It is the most peaceful spot on the island besides the beach, in my humble opinion.  It is an uplifting and soul wrenchingly beautiful environment, honoring so many lives lost to those who love them.  So, your support will be GREATLY appreciated for this local treasure.

Now, on to the recipe.  It's easy, it's a kicked up mix.  And, it's really, really tasty!

LEMON SUPREME CAKE
recipe contributed by Ara Wisnoski

Ingredients:

1 package Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
1 package instant lemon pudding (I used the small box)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 cup water
4 eggs (I used large eggs)

Glaze:

2 cups powdered confectioners sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice (that was 5 lemons for me)

Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare 9x13 pan or Bundt pan with baking spray (I used the kind that has the flour already in it - and this step was not in the recipe...but I felt like it needed to be said - use a prepared pan)

Add cake mix, pudding mix, oil, and water to bowl of stand mixer.  Turn on low speed to begin mixing.  Add eggs one at a time.  Raise speed to medium until everything is thoroughly incorporated.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes (my Bundt cake took 47 minutes)

When cake is done (I touch the top lightly to "feel" for doneness and then double-checked with a skewer),  remove and rest on cooling rack while you make the glaze.


It took a while for the lighter colored portion to bake...
but it left a lovely brown crust!
Simply whisk together 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar with the lemon juice until smooth.

Turn the Bundt cake out onto a plate with a rim, and if you used a 9x13 pan, just leave it in the pan.
For the Bundt cake, take a skewer and poke holes all over the cake.  Amazingly, they aren't very visible. For the 9x13 pan, use a fork and punch holes all over the cake.  Really, that's what you do.  Pour glaze over the cake. 

(Note:  that made a LOT of glaze for a Bundt cake...I think it could be halved for a Bundt.  With the 9x13 pan, there is more surface to soak up the glaze...and that is what it does, it goes down into the cake...but the Bundt shape allowed it to roll down the sides.  I had put waxed paper around the base of the cake, fearing this might be the case - 4 pieces, barely tucked under the cake...I went around the cake with the glaze 3 times, and allowed it to soak for about 30 minutes, then I poured the excess glaze sitting on top of the wax paper into a bowl, added more powdered sugar to it, and made a thicker drizzle for the cake after the cake was completely cooled.  I think it made a prettier cake!  I fear the cake would be soggy if left sitting in that much excess glaze.  It IS supposed to be incredibly moist - and almost wet - but we don't want to get to the point where it falls apart!!!)


Glazed cake after excess glaze drained off the plate...much better!

I made some little molded white chocolate dolphins in honor of Scarlet, and a couple of flip flops ... because, well, it just seemed apropos!  I'm not a chocolatier - as you can tell if you look close - but I will say it was fun!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. absolutely supreme but you made it more so with the wonderful dolphins thank you dear sweet friend it is so yummy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!