The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quinoa Salad Recipe...Because blogging causes weight gain...

I keep a scale in the kitchen but it is usually shoved out of sight under a small storage shelf.  I had dragged it out yesterday, causing my son to stub his toe on the foreign object...he frowned and said "why is this out?" and I responded "well, I've been eating a lot lately and I thought if I saw the scale, it might scare me into help me make "better choices".  He rolled his eyes... and with the depth of sarcasm only a teen-ager can muster, said "Mom, it only works if you stand on it".  Dead Silence.  I gave him the "skunk eye" and thought to myself "smart ass".

So, I stepped on it....

Holy crap! 

I've gained 4 pounds since I started blogging about food and good places to eat (and, of course, the "hurricane cookies" didn't help either).  I have to take a break!!!  All that blogging has made me gain weight!  <grin>  All I have been thinking about is food and where to eat next.  I think I'm going to have to limit myself.  I'm going to look like Jabba the Hut and be broke from eating out!  All I can think about is FOOD!

So, today, I made myself a supply of my favorite Quinoa Salad to munch on when I get the overwhelming urge to go out to eat on a daily basis.  It's darn tasty.  If you haven't had Quinoa before - this is a pretty good way to try it.  Since I'm short a restaurant review today, I'll share my recipe instead.

Debbi's Quinoa Salad

Prepare 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water per package directions - fluff with fork and allow to cool completely.

Dressing:


1 tsp. kosher salt

1 tsp. ground black pepper

1/4 cup champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar if you can't find it)

1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar

6 packages of Splenda (normally it is 1/4 cup of sugar but all things considered...it's Splenda today)

2 garlic cloves - finely minced

A splash of brine from kalamata olives

Whisk and allow Splenda and salt to dissolve before adding:

1/4 cup EVOO - whisked in

Prepare and set aside while prepping rest of salad

Salad:

4 green onions - thinly sliced - use whites and greens

1/2 purple onion finely diced

2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, quartered and chopped

4 large basil leaves, rolled into a cigar and thinly sliced (chiffonade)

1 cup of kalamata olives - pitted - halved or whole

1 cup crumbled feta cheese

Add grape tomatoes if you desire - I don't eat fresh tomatoes (childhood trauma)

Toss salad ingredients with completely cooled quinoa. Whisk dressing a final time and pour over salad and quinoa mix. I use a plastic container with a tight lid so I can shake the salad to fully coat.  Refrigerate for an hour before eating.

It's tart and delicious and after eating French Toast, Bacon, Fried Shrimp, Hush Puppies, Onion Rings, a Breakfast Taco the size of a plate, and 2 of the donuts HEB offered for free if I bought Starbucks Coffee....well....it's GOT to be better for my innards...they needed a break :-)

I'll resume reviews soon!StumbleUpon

2 comments:

  1. got this recipe from you a while ago...tried it...loved it! One of those 'fresh' tastes that we all need sometimes. Thanks!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it Heather - I did tweak it a bit this time around - I had to decrease the garlic because last time, when I used 5 cloves, it was REALLY strong by the second day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!