The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pirate's Landing

Pirate's Landing in Port Isabel is the Grand Dame of eateries on the mainland side of the Queen Isabella Memorial Causeway.  If you are looking for a family restaurant with a waterfront view, Pirate's Landing is a good choice.  Back when we vacationed on the island, it was always our tradition to stop there first for a Shrimp Po'boy before heading over for check-in.  The food servings are generous and the choices are many.  What keeps me going back again and again, however, is the basket of piping hot, fresh yeast rolls placed on the table with a container of honey butter.  Heck, I'm usually full before the order arrives!

Often, if I ask my youngest son "we're going out for dinner/lunch, where would you like to go?", his answer is Pirate's Landing....for the same reason.  He loves those rolls!  All of the sandwich offerings are served on their fresh baked bread as well, including hamburgers.  The food, in my opinion, is nothing fancy, but I've enjoyed our many meals at Pirate's Landing.  The kids meals are served in a "boat" and a pirate's hat and eye patch are often available for the kidlets.  During high season I often see a balloon artist strolling the tables, in Winter Texan season I've enjoyed live guitar music as we dined, and always I enjoy the view of the causeway, The Black Dragon pirate ship, and the longest fishing pier in Texas.  It's not just a restaurant, it's a destination!  It's on the Port Isabel Lighthouse Square and the list of activities in the immediate area can be found via the link to the restaurant.

Now, I have to say, out of fairness - my older sister does not agree.  She did not enjoy her shrimp sampler platter nor her seafood stuffed hush puppies.  I'll admit, that day, they didn't look very appealing.  I also don't care for their calamari strips.  I do, however, like their salads a great deal (Cobb, Chef, Seafood Pasta, Shrimp Louie to name a few) and another sister doesn't think it's vacation at the coast if she doesn't have her grilled shrimp salad from Pirate's Landing - especially with their honey mustard dressing.  I also enjoy their tortilla soup on those few blustery days each year where it is nippy at the coast.  I make a beeline for Pirate's on such occasions!  My son will tell you the Cheesecake Factory Tuxedo cheesecake can't be missed (we often take an order "to go" because we are too full to eat dessert).  My husband enjoys a cup of their espresso from time to time as well.  One of the great things about Pirate's is their service.  They have a crew that just seems to focus on drink refills and clearing plates.  The wait staff are regulars I've seen for years.  I've only had bad service once - and that server hasn't been seen for over a year :-)  Managers check around to make sure everything is going smoothly.  It's an efficient operation.  Something new I noticed last night when we were there, they offered $15 bottles of wine...and one of my favorites, Nobilio Sauvignon Blanc, was on the list!!!  I've paid $45 for that bottle of wine in an Austin restaurant...and $10-12 at the grocery store...so that was a real find in my opinion.  Don't know if that's a special thing for now or a regular deal - tell them you heard about it on my blog! 

They are open daily at 11:00 a.m. for lunch and dinner.  They are easy to find just look for the lighthouse and look over towards the bay - you can't miss it.

SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:

3 1/2 – Pretty Yummy - I feel my flip flops wanting to head back quite frequently!

Pirate's Landing on UrbanspoonStumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!