The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Pier 19

Hidden behind the KOA Campground on the south bay side of the island, is a great little place to grab a bite and enjoy some really fine views.  Pier 19 is operated by the same folks as Pirates Landing and Sea Ranch so you'll see a lot of the same tee shirts on the wait staff here that you see on the wait staff at Pirates Landing. :-)  The menu, though, is its own and my son and I had enjoyed going there repeatedly...until Mother's Day.  That was where I wanted to go for Mother's Day lunch (my hubby was out of town, so it was just me and the teen - decided to go casual).  I was enjoying the day, the scenery, and the music when much to my dismay, both my son's hamburger and my shrimp basket had hair stuck in the food.  Now, I know that can happen - it's happened to me in my own kitchen with my own scrupulously clean hair.  But, it threw me off for a bit - both of our dishes???  I did notice while I was leaving that none of the cooks I observed had on a hat or hair net (you walk by the open galley style kitchen).  I think that's a no-no, but I'm really not sure.  I left a note on my "how was your meal?" reply card - I presume the waitress gave it to the management - but who knows.  Anyway, I haven't been back since.  However, I've decided to put that entire incident behind me and head back to one of my favorite places to enjoy a meal.  Maybe tonight!  I miss it....and well, you know...sh*t happens...I gotta get over it.

Some of my favorite dishes (and family favorites) are the aforementioned Shrimp Basket - they make a great Hush puppy, with their gigantic onion rings (quite possibly one of the best onion rings I've ever had), Shrimp Diablo, Shrimp Pancho, Bacon Avocado Swiss Burger (open wide - it's a big 'un), Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Shrimp Po'boys, and Blackened Fish Tacos.  I know I've probably had other items that I'm not recalling right now...but basically, almost everything I've had was good!  They do have separate lunch and dinner menu items - some things can only be ordered during designated times - so check that closely to avoid disappointment!  The only thing I didn't like that I've ordered was the crab fingers - but that was more out of ignorance than that it wasn't tasty.  I didn't really know what crab fingers were - and the tiny amount of crab meat was, well... disappointing.  They tasted good, but it was just too much work for too little reward - kind of the same way I feel about crawfish.

When I've gone for week-end lunch or dinner, there has usually been a musician entertaining, I've encountered the Black Dragon attacking the pier (the kids love it), and I happened upon fireworks one night.  There seems to be an event calendar on the website - so take a look.  They have a portion of the pier separated to form Hooker's Palapa Bar but it seems I've been the designated driver every time we've gone - so I can't speak to the tastiness of the alcoholic beverages.  Everyone drinking one seemed to be enjoying it though!

I've stopped in once for breakfast - but when I got to the door there was a sign saying they were closed that day...so I didn't get to try the breakfast fare.  Maybe I'll give that another try some day soon.  I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Pier 19 is not hard to find, although it is off the beaten path.  After coming off the causeway onto the island, take a right and then another right into the drive leading into the KOA Campground - there's a big Pier 19 sign there as well.  Go all the way to the back and you'll be on the bay.  The entrance is at the top of the ramp leading onto the pier.  Tons of tee shirts and other souvenirs for sale as well.  Give Pier 19 a try - I think you'll like it!

SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:
3 – Pretty Yummy - I feel my flip flops wanting to head back from time to time!

Pier 19 on UrbanspoonStumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!