The first dozen, including the royal icing, colorings, and set up, took me 3 hours to finish decorating and the last 16 took me just over an hour... I was in the swing of things by then. What I learned is that I am not a great artist, I am inconsistent, but I do improve over time. Most of my issues were with icing consistency. I, again, used the squeeze bottles but found I needed a piping bag with a #1 or #2 tip for the best feathering. Once I got that down, I had more consistency...unfortunately, it took me so long to get to that point that my icing started separating and I ended up with some dry bits gumming up the works...and all the kinds of mishaps that occur when you work with royal icing for many hours straight.
|The first dozen - not very consistent|
I'm not totally happy...but I'm getting better.
So, here's the old one I did last time...and the new ones are, obviously, the blue hummingbirds...I tried to get a little artsy and the feathering didn't work all that well about half the time. Baby steps...we're taking baby steps!
|The ones I did last time|
|The 2nd dozen - better!|
Bon Appetit, Y'all!