The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

BRINGING FROZEN AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD STARTER TO LIFE!!!

My favorite little cakes from the Christmas Baking

In December I finally gave up on making more and more Amish Friendship Bread... and no one wanted the starter. I decided to freeze the last two "batches" in some freezer bags for future experiment use. It's been 3 months so it's time to take it out and see if the starter can be "brought to life"....mwah ha ha ha ha...

I took out one of the bags from the freezer. (I feel somewhat like a character from Young Frankenstein)

"Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Are you ready?
Igor: Are you sure this is how they did it?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Yes! It's all written down in the notes!"


I do have my notes!  My plan is to let it come to room temperature and feed it. One cup of flour, one cup of milk, and one cup of sugar. Stir, stir, stir... Then, you'll recall - you go through the process of feeding it every few days and after 10 days - you remove enough to bake the first batch of baked goods - and continue the endless cycle :-)

"Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!"

Okay - enough with the Young Frankenstein quotes.  I loved that silly movie.

Amish Friendship Bread is such a delicious cake/bread/whatever-you-want-to-call-it... and I'm in the mood to try some of the "varieties" I read about but didn't want to do at Christmas time.   I'll keep you posted on how this progresses!  Ten days...<sigh> okay, anything good is worth waiting for, right?

Tick, tock, tick, tock....StumbleUpon

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA!!! When I read the beginning, I WAS thinking of Young Frankenstein (or was it Frankenstein?) Will be watching this to see how it turns out. I enjoyed doing this bread many years ago. Have been contemplating doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did work for those who wondered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a link to the corn muffins I made with this starter. http://spiflipflopfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/03/amish-starter-cornbread-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!