|The first layer drying|
I decided to thicken up the leftover blue and green frosting and use it for the straps and some other decor. This time it would need to be piping bags and tips...squeeze bottles just weren't going to do the trick. That got me into thinking maybe I could make some flowers like I did for the cupcakes. Let them dry and then use them as a sugar decoration. So I did that...but it was easier with buttercream. I'm guessing my icing wasn't stiff enough to hold the piped shape...but a few turned out "okay" so I set them up to dry. About that time, I got a text from the teen that he had left his laptop charger at home and would I bring it up to school. <sigh> OK - off I went. Since I was halfway to Wal-mart by that point I decided I would go and see if they had any Wilton sugar flowers...I had seen some daisies at Hobby Lobby last week-end and thought I'd check out the local offerings. Sure enough! There they were...so I grabbed a pack. Holy smokes - $5 for those little daisies! The box included 6 small and 4 larger. Geez, I'll need to learn to make sugar flowers...even if my little blue ones weren't the best, I know I could improve! I'm sure not going to pay that much for a few little flowers.
|Wilton Daisy Sugar Flowers|
|My poor little royal icing flowers...bless their hearts...needed more powdered sugar|
So, this is the end of the current cookie project. I have to start thinking about learning fondant. I think the straps might have been better (and more consistent) if I had used strips of fondant. We'll see. I'm sure there are many more flip flop cookies in my future!
I like decorating cookies...I can eat the mistakes and no one is any wiser!!!
|See - the straps are really hard to keep consistent.|
Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!