The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Zucchini Appetizers

Photo Source:  Google Images
This recipe comes from my ex-mother-in-law; she gave it to me wayyyy back in 1976.  It is still delicious today - but I rarely see it being served any longer.  It's another one of those Bisquick recipes that were so popular in the '70s.  I find it is a great recipe to prepare using a mandolin for the zucchini slicing; it's better than slicing them by hand if you have one available!  Another plus is it is so basic anyone can make it and not mess it up (that would be me in 1976...I needed easy, so I wouldn't mess it up).  You really just dump all the ingredients in one bowl, stir, transfer to baking pan, and bake.  DONE, Finished, Easy! 

I was searching for images to use, and sure enough...there it is on the Betty Crocker website!  I read the reviews...yikes, some people didn't like it...but lots more did.  As always, I tweak my recipes.  I like this one with more onion, garlic, and cheese.  Give it a try if you haven't had this before.  My family loved this served as a snack back when the older boys were small.  The teen doesn't like vegetables...I can't even sneak them in this recipe because he can see the green :-)  I hope YOU like it...enjoy!

ZUCCHINI APPETIZERS

Ingredients:

3 cups thinly sliced unpeeled zucchini
1 cup Bisquick Baking Mix
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I have used more onion - up to 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used 3/4 cup of freshly grated - or you can use 1/2 cup of the green can stuff)
2 Tbsp snipped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Season Salt
1/2 tsp dried marjoram or dried oregano (I used oregano)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or pressed (I used 2 cloves of garlic - because I like it garlicky)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten (original recipe doesn't say what size - I think large is the standard to use)

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease oblong pan 13x9x2 (or use a smaller casserole if you want thicker pieces - and adjust baking time).  Mix all ingredients, spread in pan.  Bake about 25 minutes (may take longer - look for a medium brown color around the edges, light brown on top - see photo).  Allow to cool.  Cut into pieces about 2"x1".  Serve room temperature.

Bon Appetit Y'all!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!