The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Favorite Fruit Salad

Everyone has a favorite fruit salad - and so do I!  The basic recipe for this salad came to me via a girlfriend of my ex-husband's brother.  I've made it many different ways (seasonal fruits) but the "sauce" remains consistent and the grated apples - they are key.  People are always surprised to find the sauce is yogurt based.  For many years I hid the yogurt from my kids (because they don't like yogurt) - but they liked this salad!

It would be a great addition to a Christmas breakfast or a Christmas dinner either one.  Try it, I bet you like it!

JOHN'S GIRLFRIEND'S FRUIT SALAD ALA ME!

Slice and dice a bowl of fruit of your choice.  Try to include fresh berries if possible - they really add to the dish.  My usual combination is:
Sliced strawberries
Halved seedless grapes (both green and red)
Cantaloupe chunks
Blackberries
Blueberries
Plums, and/or Peaches if in season
Banana slices (added at the last minute)
Grated cored apples (grate on large side of box grater - with skin on - also at the last minute)

Spiced Honey Yogurt Sauce:
12 oz. low fat vanilla yogurt (or if using plain yogurt, add good vanilla extract to taste)
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Whisk sauce ingredients together and toss with fruit - make sure everything is covered so the apples and bananas don't oxidize (if you need to - you can toss the grated apples with a teaspoon of lemon juice to delay oxidation - but bananas, really need to be last minute).  Serve immediately.  I frequently prep everything except the bananas and apples in advance.  I almost always prep the yogurt in advance so the cinnamon and honey and vanilla yogurt flavors have the chance to get all snuggly.  It sounds so simple - and it is.

It's delicious - betcha love it!

Bon Appetit Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!