The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, August 29, 2011

HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS

I had gone to the grocery store in preparation for the week-end's meals while my hubby (or is it hubbie?  I never know) was in town.  I looked at the hamburger buns because we were going to do burgers at home Sunday night...and I wondered "can I make hamburger buns at home"?  I love the taste of hamburger buns - they have a different texture than a lot of other rolls.  It is also one of the few items I still waffle back and forth between... whole wheat or white.  Man, I love those white hamburger buns.

So, I skipped buying them to force myself to make them.  Fingers crossed all the way.

I googled and found a few recipes but one blogger's photo sold me.  It looked like a real hamburger bun!  So, I based my recipe on hers...but I used the technique I generally use to make bread.  Sheesh I hope that doesn't mess things up.  Of course, you readers will know before the end of the post (and since there's a photo at the beginning of the post you know it turned out!).  So, here goes.

HOMEMADE HAMBURGER BUNS
Adapted from www.creationsbykara.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup hot water
2 tsp. instant yeast
2 Tbsp granulated white sugar
2 Tbsp oil (I used 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and 1 Tbsp olive oil)
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
2 3/4 cup to 3 cups of unbleached AP flour

Method:

Add hot water, instant yeast, and sugar to bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attached.  Allow to prove for about 4-5 minutes (until good and foamy).

Mix the salt into the flour and mix the oil and egg together.

Add all but 1 cup of flour to the yeast mix and turn on the mixer. 

Add the liquid ingredients and allow to incorporate.  You will have an extremely sticky dough. 

Add all but 1/4 cup of the flour and mix until a good tacky dough has formed.  It should all be pulled away from the side of the bowl...maybe a bit still on the bottom, but the sides should be pulled away.  Allow to knead for 4-5 minutes.  Touch the dough and see if it sticks to your hands - if it does add a bit more flour and let it incorporate.  I used the full 3 cups of flour.

Put the dough out on a floured surface and knead by hand for about 1 minute.  Form a ball and allow to rest.  You should have a nice soft but elastic dough at that point.

Shape dough into a log and cut into 8 fairly equal pieces with a bench scraper or knife. 

Roll into balls and place on a well-greased baking sheet (I used a Silpat instead).  Gently press down with the palm of your hand (if it sticks - add a small amount of flour to your hands - and try to make yours more even than I did - I have multi-sizes).

Place in warm non-drafty place to rise.  I covered mine with a cotton cloth although the original recipe didn't say to do that.  It's an old habit.  Let rise until doubled.  Mine took about 45-50 minutes.

Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15-18 minutes.  If you desire sesame seeded hamburger buns (which I did) - bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, brush lightly with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. 

Return to oven for remaining cook time.


Slice in half and serve your burgers. 

I can't tell you how wonderful my house smells.  When I was a little girl living in Austin, we routinely drove by the Butter Krust bakery - and when they were baking, the blocks surrounding the factory smelled the way my kitchen smells right now.  Warm yeasty bread baking.  Nothing like it.  I couldn't wait for dinner - I cut one open and ate it out of hand.  It tastes absolutely incredible...I may never buy another hamburger bun at the grocery store again.  Wow!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

SHARED WITH:
StumbleUpon

6 comments:

  1. So your bread making technique worked hah! Those hamburger buns look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on them! They look wonderful. There's nothing quite like the smell of bread baking, is there? I have had this irrational fear of yeast that I've promised myself that I would conquer this year. So far I haven't done that and the year is slipping by. Maybe this would be a good project for me to try. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smell of bread baking too.. but I never have luck for my bread. They never come out right, but I will try your recipe and technique I hope it will help... thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I always refrained from doing hamburgers at home because I did not want to use store-bought buns. Seeing how fairly simple this recipe is I might give it a go! :))
    And yes, they turned out beautiful.

    Cheers,
    Tobias

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going above & beyond making the usual meal. I commend you for being so bread savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonna have to do this...will make the perfect compliment to my Cheeseburger Next To Paradise~!!~

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!