The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

VIPF Readings at Paragraphs on Padre...and Some Forgotten Cookies

Every year I look forward to the Valley International Poetry Festival...because I know my friends, Joni and Griff, owners of Paragraphs on Padre, will host a poetry reading.  I enjoy the poets who come to read their work...I particularly like the performance style of the readings. I really appreciate their efforts because I know they drive all over the Rio Grande Valley on this day!


This year was no different.  The agenda at Paragraphs was full this April day - a workshop, two reading events, a practice for another event...Joni and Griff manage to juggle all of that AND take care of a store full of customers.  It was a lovely Saturday on the island and the first readings were held on the delightful patio that separates their living quarters from the book store.  Flowers bloomed, voices read with great passion, I shed some tears, and I laughed. 



I snapped photos of some of the poets.  Unfortunately, I was so busy enjoying their work, I didn't identify who was who, but I'll post the photos anyway.  Every year I take away something special from this event.  This year there were several moments.  For that, I am thankful.






If you know me, you know I rarely attend an event without a little somethin'-somethin' to share with folks.  This year, I was up at 11:00 last night preparing some Forgotten Cookies.  I wrote about them in 2010, but never took pictures that I know of.  I colored these light blue and used up some "Spring" colored chocolate chips, then added some mini semi-sweet morsels as well.  They just reminded me of the beauty of today's sky and the color of the bay through my polarized sun-glass lenses.  They make me happy.  The link above is to a printable recipe and this link is to the blog post where I originally wrote about these cookies my family has enjoyed for nearly 50 years.  They are super simple to make!


Forgotten Cookies also travel well if not bounced around too much - they get a nice crispy crust and the internal chips seem to help stabilize the normally quite fragile merengue.  I can easily move them around and hold them in my hand.  If you need an easy-to-make treat some late night, this is a great one.  They will be ready when you wake up the next morning!

I also "attempted" to video record one of the readings by poet, Amalia Ortiz.  It's a newish camera so I didn't know the zoom would make so much noise...and I couldn't figure out how to stop the recording...oops.  Lots of "stuff" on the end.  Also, couldn't edit it with my current software.  I'll work on it for the future (or maybe I'll give up my video attempts and stick to making cookies) - but this was a great poem, "La Matadora", and I wanted to share the reading.  Maybe I can figure all of that out and share it eventually!

For now, enjoy your day and thanks for stopping by!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

Update 5/2/2014
A link to my very pathetic video attempt.  Sorry for the poor quality - just listen to the voice - it's awesome...close your eyes if you have to.  Really, I'm bad with the new camera.


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!