The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, September 14, 2012

"GRAND" TREATS


 

My children know I have a secret addiction to Nestle's 100 Grand candy bars.  I can plow through those candy bars, eyes rolling, and quickly pick up another.  BUT, I shouldn't, so I don't even bring them home any more.

Then, I stumbled upon Inside BruCrew Life's blog with a post called 100 Grand Rice Krispie Treats.  I moved on, thinking I should probably not learn to love those...and if I made them, I knew I would likely love them.

Then, I was strolling down the candy aisle looking for candy corn to lay in for Halloween baking and I saw caramels...usually out of my line of site on the bottom shelf...moved front and center to lure me.  I love caramels.  I grabbed two bags.  I searched for the blog post I had seen, thinking "oh, this would make a great Halloween or Fall treat!"  I FOUND IT!

Oh my, it is quite exciting.  I finished them this morning and am taking them over to my sister's condo on the island for dessert following our lobster dinner!  A grand dinner and kicked up Rice Krispie Treats for dessert...that's how we roll.

I'll ask you to click through to Inside BruCrew Life for the recipe...since I didn't really alter much of anything.  I did use a full 11.5 ounce bag of Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips and only 1/2 tablespoon of Crisco for the topping (and no sprinkles).  Otherwise, it is exactly as described.

Here are some photos of the process:

The butter and caramel mixture beginning to melt
Marshmallows added to completely melted caramel mixture
Keep stirring...it will eventually come together

Yes!  The caramel, butter, and marshmallow mixture
Pressed into a buttered pan (using buttered hands)
The melted chocolate (I could eat it with a spoon!)

Smooth the chocolate with a spatula all over the treats and
allow to cool before cutting.  I use a bench scraper
to cut the treats...easier than a knife in my opinion.


I am going to call these Grand Treats - they are indeed yummy!  HOWEVER, I'm going to make them again and up the caramel "oomph" in some form or fashion. They didn't taste caramelly enough to me. They didn't taste enough like the Hundred Grand Bar I love so much.  I have an idea...so keep an eye out for "take two" on these treats!  I'm not saying they aren't good though... they are indeed excellent treats just the way they are...I've already sampled two while I wrote this!   :-)  Give them a try, they are a wonderful tweak to the regular Rice Krispie Treats!



Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

Shared With:

 
StumbleUpon

6 comments:

  1. I made these too and they were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I had been sampling the outer edge pieces and the inside pieces were MUCH more dense and caramelly (is that a word?). They were really good!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness....these sound wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may be better the second day...even more dense and caramel flavored! Thanks for commenting
      :-)

      Delete
  3. I don't know, they look like they could be addictive, maybe not the best thing for me, or my waist line;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you are right about that! This is definitely something to "make and take"... take far away from temptation!!!

      Delete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!