The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Pork Medallions Milanese

Our Valentine's Dinner


I really didn't know what to call this dish.  It was served on top of cheesy polenta...and it was topped with a Cheesy Tomato Sauce with Onions and Mushrooms and Basil.  The pork tenderloin medallions were "sort of" in the Milanese style.  They were pounded with a mallet and coated in Italian style bread crumbs...but not dipped in egg - and fried.  So I don't know if it qualifies.  I don't really care either. I suspect I'm mixing regions... I just know it was really, really good!  I'm calling it Pork Medallions Milanese and that's that.

It came together so quickly I had no time to take preparation photos.  All I have are a couple of photos of the finished product ready to take to the table...and there was so much it was almost overflowing the platter.  It was attacked with gusto by the family as we had not had lunch...just the Sunday morning breakfast tacos and we were all starved.  We had a simple side of steamed asparagus...and a lovely brownie cake waiting for dessert.  (More on that tomorrow)

This was our Valentine's Day celebratory meal.  There was no patience for photos at this table...no nicely set up plated meal...hell no.  They were on it like dogs on a plate of rib bones.  I didn't know whether to laugh or pull my hands back for safety.

The sounds of enjoyment were my rewards.  After a few bites, there were the appropriate ooohs and ahhhs and "honey this is good" which always warms my heart. 

Here's how I pulled it together.

1.  . Before starting the pork, clean and slice 1/2 pound of mushrooms and dice 1/2 small or 1/4 large sweet onion. Saute in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add large pinch of salt once they are in the oil as well as 1/2 teaspoon dried basil. Once onions are translucent, add your favorite marinara or pasta sauce. I used Bertolli 5-Cheese Sauce. Stir and leave on low to use on top of the medallions. (if you haven't already prepped your side(s) - do that now.  Once the tenderloin and polenta get going, it goes fast.

2.  Trim a pork tenderloin of all silver skin and white stuff (that's a technical term).  Slice into about 1 inch medallions, placing each piece between pieces of plastic wrap, and pounding thin with a mallet.

3.  Place pounded medallions into a bed of seasoned bread crumbs, flipping back and forth to coat.  I used Progresso Italian Bread Crumbs.

4.  In a small amount of oil in a wide bottomed fry pan, over a medium high heat, begin browning the pieces of pork.  They go fairly quickly.  Remove browned pieces to a paper towel coated rack and lightly salt.  Put in another batch.  I had about 6 batches all together.

5.  Prepare your favorite polenta - I used Colavita fast cooking polenta for the first time - holy smokes, they weren't kidding that it only took 5 minutes - I had to hustle to stir with one hand and flip medallions with the other.  I must say, here, you really need to whisk from the start.  The directions say "stir" but whisk if you don't want any lumps.  And, when they say slowly pour in the polenta, they mean slowly...if you don't want lumps.  My addtion:  Add 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup grated Mozzarella and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan to the thickened polenta right before serving.  Stir until melted.

6.  Pour the polenta into a large serving platter, top with fried pork tenderloin medallions, and ladle the mushroom and onion tomato sauce over the top...and serve!

Okay, here's the other picture...looks pretty much like the other picture.  That's it!



Bon Appetit, Y'all!

SHARED WITH:



Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button
Our Delightful Home
StumbleUpon

5 comments:

  1. Well, regardless of a name, it looks delicious! I adore polenta, and who can resist pork medallions! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious! I love polenta and anything with red tomato sauce is a winner in my book! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! Would love for you to share at http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html
    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!