The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

PINEAPPLE MANGO SALSA

About 20 people gathered for a beachfront fajita dinner on Tuesday night...long term friends vacationing on South Padre Island has been one of my reasons for being away from the blog.  Maybe some day I'll learn to blog from my cell phone...but for now, I've been enjoying sea, sand, food, and friends.  The teen and I have been coming home each evening exhausted beyond belief.  I'll catch up with the blogging eventually!

This is a quick and easy post - so while I wait for the teen to wake up so we can head back to the beach again, I thought I'd try to get this post finished!

My assignment Tuesday night was to bring homemade salsa and grated cheese for the fajita dinner.  Cheese was easy....and you've possibly seen my homemade salsa recipe I posted a few months ago.  However, I wanted something to hit the "tropical notes" of my friends' vacation...so I decided to try to create a tasty Pineapple Mango Salsa...it turned out delicious!!!  I made a big batch of my original recipe homemade salsa and a smaller batch of this new trial recipe...I loved it so here's the recipe:

DEBBI'S PINEAPPLE MANGO SALSA

Ingredients:

1 15-ounce can of peeled stewed whole tomatoes -
drain juice 
1/4 large sweet yellow onion - peeled and rough chopped
1 medium ripe mango, peeled, flesh removed from the seed - you don't want the mango overly ripe as it gets too fibrous...so just gently "giving" when squeezed up near the stem.  The color should be more green than yellow for this recipe.
1/2 fresh golden pineapple - peeled, cored, and "eyes" removed (reserve 1/4 of the whole pineapple)
1 medium to large jalapeno seeded and deveined (reserve 1/2 - hold to the side)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp chili powder1 pinch sugar
Juice of 1 large or 2 small limes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (pick from stems)


The Extras:

2 plum tomatoes - diced - held to the side
2 thinly sliced green onions - held to the side
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves roughly chopped and held to the side
1/2 jalapeno - reserved from above - small diced - held to the side

1/4 pineapple - reserved from above - diced - held to the side

METHOD:

In bowl of food processor, add all of the ingredients except those listed in "The Extras".

Pulse just until everything chopped evenly.
Pour into mixing bowl.

Add "The Extras" and stir.


Allow to sit, covered, for at least one to two hours so the flavors can incorporate.

Serve with tortilla chips, as a salad dressing, as a fajita topping, over fish or chicken or with shrimp!  I can picture this being an elegant addition to a recipe or popped into a bowl with some chips on the side for a casual and deliciously different snack.

Freshly spicy, yet sweet.  Awesome combination of flavors.

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!




SHARED WITH:
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. oh yum!! This looks great! Thanks for linking this up to savory sunday!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!