The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, June 17, 2011

MANUEL'S in Port Isabel

It was late, I'd barely had any breakfast, I'd Zumba'd away what there was...and the teen and I were starved for lunch.  We were just down the road from Manuel's, and after hearing good local feedback, we decided to try it for the first time.

I don't carry much cash, and having heard it was a "cash only" establishment, I am frequently "out of luck" when I'm in the area.  The sign on the door definitely says No Credit Cards, No Checks...Cash Only.  I had cash today so we stopped in.

The teen is a huge Al Pacino fan so seeing about 6 Scar Face posters as soon as walked in gave him a happy buzz from the get go.  Friendly faces abound, despite it being at the end of their day (breakfast and lunch only...they close at 2:00 and are closed on Mondays).  That's always a good sign!

We were seated and ordered our Diet Coke and Sprite to drink.  Our efficient and happy wait staff took our orders...the standard burger and fries for the teen and I had the 3 beef enchilada plate with rice and beans.  (You know I'm always on the lookout for good Mexican food).  Man, I should have come here before.  I was watching the other table deliveries as well...everything looked delicious that was being served!

Warm chips and some muy caliente salsa were served while we waited for our meals...it's the kind of salsa that doesn't burn immediately but you can't stop eating it because your mouth is on fire...so long as you are eating it, it's tolerated...just don't stop.  I should have known...lots of jalapeno seeds visible!  Good chips and good salsa.

The teen said the burger was excellent.  The patty was large...and he orders it plain and dry, so the meat is of prime consideration.  The bun was toasted and fresh looking.  The fries were thick steak cut fries and he said they were good.  My order was outstanding.  Tasty enchiladas, excellent refried beans and Spanish rice...you can tell these were sides that didn't come out of a can - they were made, I would guess, right there in the kitchen.


The price for lunch was $18.69 plus tip.  We were filled to the point of feeling stuffed and needing a siesta...but no time for siestas today :-)

I'm happy to find another great local restaurant that makes good enchiladas.  Other reviews I've read rave about their breakfast.  I don't go out for breakfast much, but when I do, I'll be sure to remember Manuel's and give them another try!


SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:
3 1/2 – Yummy - I feel my flip flops wanting to head back from time to time!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

Manuel's on UrbanspoonStumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!