The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Friday, February 20, 2015

Causeway Cafe - Port Isabel

In our continuing tradition of "ladies who do lunch", my friends and I decided to try a relatively new spot for lunch this month.  Iris had already been before and vouched for it being quite good.  Well, let me tell you, it was better than good!  This is a coffee shop and then some!

Causeway Cafe is on the South side of Lighthouse Square and if you are at the light going towards the island, just look to the right - it's the last shop before the Causeway.  Plenty of parking, outdoor seating, lovely indoor decor.  My friend and I just looked at each other and were both going "wow"!  This is just what Port Isabel needed.

Lovely staff, gracious serene surroundings, delicious food, good coffee, lovely coffee cups and dishes.  I was in happy overload!  Another friend had posted how nice it was to have a place to go and sip a good cup of coffee in Port Isabel and, after hearing that, I should not have dragged my feet in getting there.  I can picture myself with a latte and a book, whiling away a morning.  I didn't even notice the pastries, but I'll give an update when I go back!

I brought home a menu but I'm not going to post my pictures - because it is easy to find on their website which I am linking here.  They have a nice little lunch menu and I selected the daily special.  It included one half of a sandwich and a cup of soup for $7.99.  The soup of the day was a Sirloin Vegetable Minestrone I believe - it was delicious.  I selected the seasonal Albacore Tuna Salad on Croissant for my sandwich. It was described as wild-caught tuna blended with relish, mayo, onions, fresh herbs, and spices. Served on a plate with a pickle it was exactly enough for a light lunch.  The flavor of both the soup and sandwich were really outstanding.  Tea and the lunch special totaled right at $10.

Iris had Vickie's Chicken Salad which she gave high praise.  She said the addition of cranraisins was an outstanding touch to go with the all natural chicken breast, walnuts, gala apples, mayo, fresh herbs and spices.  She opted to have it as described on the menu with tomato, onions, and spinach.  She could have had it as a sandwich or over field greens if she preferred.

Our non-eating friend always has coffee and she smiled happily at the generous clear glass cup and the coffee within.  You could tell we were all having a most excellent time as we grinned through most of our time there and lingered longer than we usually do over lunch!  Causeway Cafe had a great vibe!

I can't wait to go back.  I am, of course, posting this in February, so all I know are Winter Hours - 8:00 to 3:00 Tuesday through Saturday - closed Sunday and Monday.

I didn't see breakfast items on the menu, but I did see mention of Muffins!  This will be a great place for Mr. Flip Flop and I to go on those "on-call" week-ends he has wherein we are land locked and can't go over to the island.  Yay!  Love new places!

UPDATE 2/27/2015
Planned my day of errands and appointments to include a second visit to Causeway Cafe - all alone - so I could just sit and take it all in.  Lunch special today included a most excellent Tomato Basil Soup and my half sandwich choice to go with it was the chicken salad on a croissant (what Iris had last visit but as a sandwich).  OH MY - it was to die for.  There was a lot of foot traffic as I sat there - Winter Texans ending their visit and others just coming in for the first time.  Nice to see the place was hopping.  I was happy to find they did have WiFi and I spent a little time staring out the window and reading my book before I decided to have a coffee for dessert.  I selected a White Chocolate Mocha Latte with Half and Half with Whip. O*M*G!!!  It was beyond delicious.  Next time I'll have a double shot of espresso - in it - but for today it was absolutely perfect.

I also had the opportunity to view, but not taste, an array of desserts in their pastry area.  They have gluten free muffins, pies, bars, cheese cake...and I was told the offerings changed regularly.  If I hadn't been so full from lunch and coffee I'd have wanted a piece of something - likely the lemon bar.  I love lemon!

So, take two lived up to the first visit and then some!  YAY!!! (Pssst... I hear they are soon going to have a deck and wine and beer...I think I heard right.  Can't wait to see that happen. I'm hoping that means they might extend their hours some in the Summer.  They didn't mention that, but I can always hope.) Lovely place.  Check it out if you haven't already done so!



SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:

4 – Lip smackin’ - good quality – flip flops will definitely be parked under their table again!


Bon Appetit, Y'all!


Causeway Cafe on Urbanspoon


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!