The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

EASY BAKED APPLES

I can remember my Mom serving baking apples from my earliest years...the resulting dish always seemed mysterious and complex until I saw how easy it was.  I used to make these at least monthly...and then I stopped (who knows why).

I made these to go with some pork chops last week-end and sure enough, my son said "ummm, these are good!" despite him telling me time and again "no thank you, I don't think I'd like baked apples" when I offered to make them for him.  This time, I didn't ask, I just did.  He loved them!

It's silly simple - I sliced two apples in half (large Granny Smith apples) - halved at the circumference, not the long way.  I trimmed a bit off the top and bottom so they would sit steady in the pan and used a melon baller to scoop out the core and seeds.

I placed them in a glass baking dish, sprinkled the apples with brown sugar and packed some in the middle and placed a tablespoon of butter on top of each...and sprinkled the top with cinnamon.  I put about a half cup of Blueberry/Pomegranate juice in the bottom of the dish because I didn't have apple cider (which I normally use).

Baked 350 degrees in the oven until they looked nice and soft and a fork slid easily in and right back out.  I think it took about 20 minutes or so.  They cooked while I cooked the pork chops.

Before serving, I spooned some of the juicy, buttery stuff from the bottom of the dish up over the apples.

Simple and so delicious.  So perfect we scooped it out with a spoon.  A perfect Autumn side dish or dessert!














Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

StumbleUpon

2 comments:

  1. I made some not so good baked apples a while back, but now that fall is back I think I shall try again. I love your idea of using blueberry/pomegranate juice in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the added juice adds some flair. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!