The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lady & The Pit

UPDATE DECEMBER 2014 - 
CLOSED AT THE PORT ISABEL LOCATION - ANNOUNCED MOVING TO BROWNSVILLE - NEVER REOPENED IN RGV.  HEARD OWNERS MOVED AWAY.

I haven't been to a new restaurant in a couple of months so the reviews have been a bit skimpy lately.  I have, however, been hearing wonderful things about Lady & The Pit in Port Isabel and FINALLY I stopped in to give it a try on Friday night.

I am a bit of a BBQ snob as I've mentioned before.  My first job in high school was forced labor working in the pit side of the family Meat Market in Austin.  I wasn't given a choice and I hated smelling like wood smoke at the end of every Saturday....but it gave me a life long appreciation of good smoked meats and yummy sides.

Lady & The Pit lived up to the local accolades - with flying colors I must say!  I only had my cell phone and for that I apologize.  These plates the teen and I had were "picture perfect" and deserved a high quality camera to capture the yumminess.  You'll just have to take my word for it...and my cell phone pictures will give you an idea.
The Pork Rib Plate

I had a pork rib plate with sides of potato salad and some of the best baked beans ever.  The rib meat was succulent and falling off the bone tender...smoked to perfection.  Ooh la la!  I was happy.  BIG, meaty ribs folks.  Delish with a capital D!  When I took the first bite of potato salad I thought "this tastes almost as good as my mom's"....and the baked beans...well, they were worthy of a meal unto themselves.  They taste like "cowboy beans" with the sweet, smoky, meaty flavors I love.  May possibly be the best baked beans I've ever had.  Can you tell I was a happy customer?  Yep, I was.

The teen was not enamored of the previous inhabitants of this space so he was hesitant to try the new business - he didn't like the previous joint's sausage (he's a connoisseur).  HOWEVER, his first words after he tried his first bite were "Mom, this is good sausage!"  and he proceeded to pile up sausage on slices of white bread and ate it with gusto.  His pile of sliced sausage was so big he couldn't even finish it all with the two sandwiches he made.  He said the mac and cheese was quite good too...but he didn't like the beans.  What the heck is the matter with him?  I could have told him he wouldn't...he doesn't like baked beans in general and was expecting the more typical BBQ joint pinto beans.  Lucky me - I got to bring his uneaten serving home.  He could only eat half of his mac and cheese...so I brought that home too!  Saturday lunch will be these wonderful leftovers along with the two ribs I couldn't put down.  I filled my belly with an entire bowl of beans and most of the potato salad and two huge ribs... these are generous plates I tell you!


The Sausage Plate


Also, if you've read my previous BBQ reviews - you know I have to have good sauce.  YES, this is good, thick delicious sauce.  Two thumbs up!

I can't wait to take my husband in - he will enjoy the variety of sides and the generous portions of meat.  The man likes his protein!  I must say thank you to Jackie Wilson - her Facebook photos of the ribs are what drew me in...that and the 100% positive word-of-mouth from all of the locals who have eaten there.  They were 100% keeerect!

I'm so happy to have a really excellent BBQ place in Port Isabel.  Welcome, welcome, welcome Lady & the Pit - you are a fine addition to the offerings on this side of the causeway.  Hooray!!!


SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:
(on a scale of 1 to 5)

5 – OMG – that was an outstanding meal!  I can’t wait to go back J

Lady & The Pit on UrbanspoonStumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!