The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Spicy Shrimp Teriyaki Stir Fry

Last week-end I was in Austin and stopped into Central Market to pick up SIX bottles of my favorite Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce.  It is sooo delish!  I used to find it down here at the coast from time to time, but not recently.  We love the stuff, so I had to lay in a supply!  They didn't even blink as I checked out.

The last time I used the last bit on hand, Mr. Flip Flop said "you know, this would taste really good with shrimp".... and all I could think was "yes, but it would double the cost of my week-night dinner!"  I started feeling guilty about that, so today I stopped in and got some incredibly fresh smelling large shrimp at Los Tortugas in Port Isabel.  I'll write more about them in an upcoming blog...but I'll say today...a high contender for some of the best wild shrimp in the area!  When I prepped it - it smelled like fresh ocean water.  That is a very good thing!

Here's the way I put this dish together.  It was absolutely delicious.

SPICY SHRIMP TERIYAKI STIR FRY
by Debbi Hook

Ingredients:

1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/3 bottle Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce, shaken very well
1 Tbsp. Chili Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Lite Soy Sauce
1 large or 2 small zucchini squash, quartered and sliced
1 small sweet onion, large diced
6 oz. button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 large red bell pepper, sliced and large diced
1 package prepared mixed chopped salad (I used HEB Fiesta Salad Mix this time - but have also used broccoli slaw as well as chopped Asian salad blend found at Wal-mart or Sam's Club)
1 Tbsp corn starch mixed with 4 Tbsp water to make a smooth slurry
White or Brown rice - cooked.  I used the HEB frozen steamable brown rice in a bag.  4 minutes.  Done!

Thinly sliced green onion and raw sesame seeds for topping

Method:

Prep all vegetables and set aside.  Clean and de-vein shrimp and keep cold until ready to add to pan.

In the largest pan you have (if you don't have a wok - which I don't), add the olive oil and chili garlic paste.  Bring temperature to medium high then add all prepped vegetables except the bagged mix.

Stir fry until vegetables begin to soften.  Add soy sauce and toss.

Add the chopped salad mixture and stir to coat with sauce. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.  Add shrimp and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.

Start the rice in the microwave if you are using the steam bag.  Add the Teriyaki sauce to the stir fry and bring to a boil, stirring to coat all ingredients.

Add the completely smooth slurry and stir until returns to boil and sauce thickens.

Add prepared rice and stir to coat.

Plate the dish and sprinkle with green onion and raw sesame seeds.  Serve immediately!

I baked a box of HEB frozen chicken egg rolls and served on the side with some Duck Sauce.
Did I say how delicious this dish was?  Oy vay... Enjoy!

Bon Appetit, Y'all!



StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!