The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Trout with Whole Wheat Couscous

This is just a very fast post - home from a week in Austin going to doctor appointments (not the most fun of trips).  First meal I've cooked in about 10 days!!!

I sauteed some of the bay trout Ian and Jay caught in June.  Quick prep in EVOO, butter, and a couple of garlic cloves pushed through a garlic press...and juice from one half of a lemon.  Salt and pepper after flipped.  Perfect and fast.  Literally took 6 minutes.

For the couscous - I bought a box of Near East Whole Wheat Couscous when I restocked my kitchen this afternoon.  I put 1/2 of a large diced yellow onion and 2 garlic cloves (also pressed) into a sauce pan with 1/2 stick butter and 1/4 cup EVOO over medium high heat.  I salt and peppered lightly.  Once the onions were soft but not fully translucent, I added 1 1/2 cups water and brought to a boil.  Added box of couscous, stirred,  covered and removed from heat.  Five minutes later (while I cooked the fish and steamed some broccoli for a side vegetable), I removed the lid, fluffed the couscous with a fork and added a small amount of chiffonade of basil and some thinly sliced green onion (whites and green parts).

I poured all of the seasoned couscous on a platter and laid out the fish, pouring all of the cooking liquid from the fish pan over the fish.  Sprinkled with a bit more of the fresh basil from the lovely plants on my deck and more sliced green onion.  Lemons served on the side for squeezing.
Fresh basil from plants purchased at Veranda's in Port Isabel!

Bread of the day was two pieces of whole wheat Naan, gently sprinkled with olive oil and placed directly on the oven racks in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 3 minutes.
Store-bought Naan - it was incredibly delicious!  Soft and chewy.
Ian wrapped his couscous and fish up and ate like a tribal teen-ager.
He loved the couscous AND the naan!  Yay for new things!!!

The entire dinner was ready in under 30 minutes including prep time and everyone walked away stuffed to the gills!  Minimal photos because I was on a roll - we were late eating and I needed to get dinner on the table PDQ!  Best "fast food" we've had in weeks :-)

Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!

Shared With:
Addicted to Recipes Button, Page button

StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!