The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

MILKY WAY CAKE

Today is October 14th - a couple of reasons I remember this day are:
1.  It is my youngest sisters' birthday
AND
2.  It is National Dessert Day (did you know that was a holiday?)

So, in honor of both of the above, I'm going to share a recipe that is loved in my family.  I got the recipe from an elderly mature co-worker in the Shoal Creek Hospital Business Office in the early 1980s.  She told me she copied it from an old church cookbook.  I love "old" recipes...and I still have the copied paper she gave me about 30 years ago.  It is stained and yellowed with age - a well-used recipe.  You know, I said she was elderly, but now, I'm rapidly approaching the age she was when she gave it to me!!!  Yikes!  I think I need to edit!!!

If you make this cake, you will find it to be the most decadent, sweet cake you may ever wrap your lips around.  It keeps well - I leave mine in the pan, just frosting the top - I think that helps the "keeping" ability - less exposed surfaces.  I have no idea of calories - heck, I really don't want to know.  This is for those special less-formal occasions when you want a really tasty cake - it travels well too.

MILKY WAY CAKE (the recipe contributor is listed as Mabel Ellison - bless you Mabel for sharing!)

I am typing it exactly as worded in the original recipe!

4 Regular Size Milky Way Candy Bars
2 Sticks Margarine
2 Cups White Sugar 
4 Eggs
2 1/2 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. Soda
1 C. Buttermilk
1 C. Chopped Nuts (we don't use - my kids don't like nuts in their sweets)
2 tsp. Vanilla

Icing:
2 Milky Way Bars
1 Stick Margarine
3 T. Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla
Powdered Sugar

Cake Instructions:
Melt 4 bars and one stick margarine in pan.  In another bowl, cream one stick of margarine with sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Combine flour and soda and add to the creamed mixture.  Add the buttermilk, nuts (if desired) and vanilla.  Add Milky Way Mixture.  Bake in a 9x13 inch pan at 300 degrees for one hour.

Icing Instructions:
Melt bars and margarine together over low heat.  Add cream and vanilla.  Add enough powdered sugar for spreading consistency.

Now, I've noticed candy bars have gotten smaller over time, but I've not changed the recipe at all because when I tried it (I added 1/2 bar to each component) I noticed no difference!  So I stick to the original recipe.

Also, I found that it takes a long time for the bars to melt...I tear or cut my Milky Way bars into small pieces (the first time I just dropped full bars into the pan - that took FOREVER to melt).  No matter how long - all of the fluff doesn't melt - I whisk after they get really melty and that works best.  You will see little spots inside the cake where those little bits don't melt - just makes it better.

For the frosting - I find a little less than one box of Powdered Sugar works "just right" and if it needs thinning out - just add more cream.  It will firm up as the chocolate and butter in the mixture cools- so make sure it is not too thick or it will be too dense when firmed up.

It doesn't say, but do let the cake cool completely before frosting.  I have no photos of this cake in my files and if I make it...well, the teen and I would be forced to eat it and that would be a bad thing...you need a group to eat this cake!  When I make it again, I'll add a photo to the post.

So, bon appetit y'all - it is REALLY good eats! 

Happy National Dessert Day...
and Happy Birthday sister Karen,
and Happy Birthday up in Heaven sister Sharon!!!StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. My son says this cake must be served with a big glass of ice cold milk on the side!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!