The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, March 21, 2011

WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

I thought I wouldn't have any baking time on Sunday but, much to my great joy, the hubby and teen decided to go see a movie in Harlingen that I was absolutely not interested in seeing at the theater.  I always like it when they go off and do something together.  I'm with the teen so much, I think the men need to be together whenever they can...without "mom" butting in.  It gave me quiet time and I've made pizza dough - which is rising - so we can have homemade pizza for dinner (the last hurrah for Spring Break) and I am making a new recipe - basically a combined Oatmeal Cookie and my 2-Kinda-Chocolate Chip Cookie...made with 100% whole wheat flour.  I hope they are tasty and moist. 

So, here's to men doing men things while the "little woman" is home baking.  Ahhh, it's a good life.  (I think I'll sit on the deck and watch the bay while the cookies bake ... and read The Padre Puzzle by local author, David Harry...I can barely put it down!)

WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES
Based on Oatmeal Cookie recipe on JoyofBaking.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup of unbleached Whole Wheat White flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup Milk Chocolate Morsels
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks

Optional ingredients - nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, or other dried fruits.

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and smooth (about 2-3 minutes). 
Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat to combine. 
Scrape down sides of bowl.

Butter and brown sugar creaming
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.  Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat until incorporated.  Scrape the bowl, getting down into the center at the bottom, not just the sides.

Flour added
Stir in the oats.  I added the first 2 cups with the mixer running and then I added the last one by hand.  VERY stiff dough.  Add both cups of chocolate chips by hand.
Cookie Dough ready to shape
For large cookies, use about 1/4 cup of batter  (I used a heaping 1 1/2 liquid ounce scoop which equals 3 tablespoons).  It made 20 cookies.  Space the cookies about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.  I actually hand-rolled the scooped cookies into a ball because some pieces were falling apart.  I then used my hand to pat them down to about 1/2 inch thick. 

A dry stiff dough - made a nice chewy cookie!
Bake for 12-14 minutes (barely can see the brown at the bottom edge).

My, my, my...these are scrumptious!  Tender, chewy, and chocolatey - just as I hoped.  To borrow an old "A-Team" phrase... I love it when a plan comes together :-)

Mama mia, that's some delicious cookie!
Bon Appetit, Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for putting up this recipe! I've been looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe to cook with Sophia!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!