The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Salmon Spread

I found this Xerox copied recipe folded up and squished down in my recipe box.  I'm so happy to be finding some of my lost recipes!  This is obviously cut from a newspaper or magazine...and considering the age of the paper, I'm betting it is from the 80's.  This is probably the last dip recipe I'll post prior to New Year's Day.  I have another appetizer, a salad, and black-eyed peas to share as well!

This recipe is just titled Salmon Spread.  My husband really likes salmon and so does the teen.  I'm not a huge fan.  I do like salmon croquettes (oh yeah, fry something up and I'm bound to like it!).  I remember liking this dip though - I wish I could remember who shared it with me!  It uses a canned salmon and can be made ahead...two pluses during the holiday season!  So, here's the recipe:


Photo Source:  Google Images

Salmon Spread

Ingredients:

15 ounce can red salmon
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

Method:

Drain salmon, removing bones and skin; flake with a fork.
Combine next eight ingredients and mix well.
Stir in salmon.
For a smoother consistency, especially if molding, blend in a food processor.

Spoon mixture into a well-oiled 2 cup or 3-cup mold and chill overnight.  Unmold on to serving platter and gently pat pecans onto surface.  Garnish with some sprigs of parsley, curls of lemon rind, and/or green onion curls.  If you don't want to mold it, simply sprinkle the pecans on the surface of your dip in a low, wide-mouthed serving bowl. 

If you are looking to make some tasty individual appetizers - cut some 1/2" thick rounds of cucumber and put a dollop of salmon spread on top of each slice and top with a sprinkle of chopped pecans.  Also, you might try a more adult version of "ants on a log"...pipe a line of salmon spread in a 3" piece of celery and sprinkle with chopped pecans. 

Serve with assorted crackers....or carrot and celery sticks.  This is a very flexible dip!

Green Onion Curls:
Place green onion on cutting board
With a very sharp paring knife, remove root end of onion and most of green end...leaving half white and half green...about 3 to 4 inches in length.
Make lengthwise cut up center of onion to about the halfway point
Repeat to slice green end into thin slivers
Place onion in cold (not ice) water until ends curl slightly
Remove from water and drain well.


A blurry photo from my cell phone - sorry

Ta Da!  Easy Peasy!

Bon Appetit Y'all!!!StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!