The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Black Bean Dip

I'm rockin' and rollin' through my old dip recipes...it's like a walk down memory lane :-)  I remember the parties and good times that went along with some of these recipes.  I hope you try them - and that they add to your memory book of good foods and good times.

Photo Source:  Google Images
Today's offering is a Black Bean Dip.  I used to make this during "diet days"...it says it is only 11 calories for a tablespoon...but I can't swear to it.  I don't positively remember the source of this recipe (it's on a very old recipe card) and I don't EVER try to calculate the accuracy of calorie content in my recipes...usually it would scare the crap out of me because most of my recipes are NOT low cal at all!  For me - if it's party time - I'd rather not know.  I THINK this recipe was from a public television show that I used to watch way before the days of Food Network.  It was a female dietitian making recipes (70s and 80s) using a hot plate and a toaster oven.  All of her recipes were nutritious and diabetic-friendly.  Boy howdy, how cooking shows have changed!

Here's the recipe:

BLACK BEAN DIP

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp chopped green chili (I like Hatch Green Chilies in the can - usually available at our local H.E.B. grocery)
1 small onion, chopped  (about 1/2 cup)
1 large clove garlic - smashed
15 ounce can black beans, drained (I like Progresso brand - commonly available locally)
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt (more if it is too thick)
1 tsp ground cumin (cominos)
1/4 tsp salt


Method:

In food processor, pulse green chilis, onion, garlic, and beans until almost smooth.  Stir in the yogurt, cumin, and salt.  Serve hot or cold with baked pita triangles (which may be found on this blog post link) or homemade tortilla chips.  I've tried this simple toasted tortilla chip recipe from Cooks.com.

HOMEMADE TORTILLA CHIPS

1 pkg. flour/corn tortillas (10-12 in a package)
Nonstick cooking spray
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. chili powder

Spray each tortilla with cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with spices. Stack tortillas and cut in half, in quarters, in eighths. Single layer on cookie sheet. Bake or broil 5 minutes at 350 degrees. A tasty, lower fat, low salt alternative.
I've made these without the spices - and just sprinkled with salt.  That's the way I like them ;-)

You can easily mess around with such a basic recipe... for more kick - add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the dip when you add the cumin.  You could also stir in some chunky salsa from a jar for another level of flavor with almost no calorie addition (if that is important to you).  If you aren't sure what you want to add, grab a teaspoon and put a dab in a ramekin, stir in a tiny bit of the additional flavoring and give it a taste to make sure you like the adjustment...before adding a lot!

The dip is, however, a healthy alternative to the heavy-with-cream-cheese dips often found on a holiday table.  You could also use whole wheat pitas and/or whole grain tortillas for making the chips - another nod to more healthy choices.  It's also inexpensive to make.  Those two things alone make it a worthwhile addition to your dip choices!
Bon Appetit Y'all!!!
StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!