The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Monday, November 21, 2011

Black and White Chocolate Chip Cookies


Continuing with my Thanksgiving baking - I knew I needed to make some sort of chocolate chip cookie that didn't include nuts or fruits nor anything that would cause the teen to turn up his nose (same goes for my oldest - no nuts allowed).  I wanted something other than the ever-delicious Toll House cookie but...close to that type of recipe.  My decision was to add the white chocolate chips I had leftover from the Chock-ful-o-Goodness Oatmeal Cookies I baked first and some semi-sweet chunks I had on hand.  I also decided to try just a bit of cinnamon in with the dry goods for a hint of background warmth.  Not enough to identify there was cinnamon in the cookies...just a faint "difference" in the taste...hopefully for the better!

Black and White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Toll House Recipe
Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup Ghirardelli White Chocolate morsels
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I used Nestle's)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional - I did not use)

















Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Prepare baking sheets with Silpat or Parchment Paper.

Set up cooling racks.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda - set aside

In bowl of stand mixer, mix butter and both sugars until lightened. Add vanilla extract. Beat until blended.

Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition.

Lower mixer speed and add the flour mixture by thirds, incorporating after each addition.

Add both chocolates and do a couple of low rotations to get the chocolate mixed in and finish up by hand.  If you are adding nuts, now is the time to do that.  Use a sturdy spoon and make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl!

Using small to medium sized cookie scoop, place 1 dozen cookies on each baking sheet.  I used a medium scoop and the recipe made 39 cookies...some were a bit bigger than others even with the scoop.  That won't happen to you if you scrape the scoop against the edge of the bowl.  Sometimes I get going and leave a mound on the scoop!  Oops.

Place in oven for 9 to 11 minutes.

Remove from oven and place baking sheet on rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack until all the way cooled.

The teen was happy to give these a try - he was relieved to see something other than the oatmeal cookies on the cooling racks!  Love it when my kids are happy! 

Musical Baking for this recipe compliments of the Carly Siimon album Live From Martha's Vineyard.  My sons listened to it every night to go to sleep when they were little dudes (nearly 25 years ago I guess...wowser).  My middle child would wait for Itsy Bitsy Spider to come on before he'd fall all the way to sleep.  Chocolate chip cookies and kid memories...warm and fuzzy.  Guess it's the Thanksgiving vibe :-)  REALLY looking forward to seeing all my children and grandchildren this week!!!  Woo Hoo!!!  Think I'll eat a cookie in "anticipation...anticipation... is making me late...is keepin' me waiting"...



Bon Appetit, Y'all

StumbleUpon

1 comment:

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!