The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Brownsville restaurants

Search The South Padre Island Flip Flop Foodie Blog!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mexiquito Restaurant

For those following my blog you will perhaps recall my disappointing search for tasty Tex-Mex vittles in my immediate area.  I may be able to finally give a two-thumbs-up to Mexiquito Restaurant -n- Seafood Market at Hwy. 100 and Garcia Street in Port Isabel (on the south side of the road next to Causey's).  I've only been twice but both times I was happy and cleaned my plate!  They are very friendly folks and it is a true mom and pop sort of restaurant.  At first, I was the only gringa on site, but before I left, the dining room was filling with all sorts of people.  I heard one gentleman say on his way in, as I was leaving, "this place is surprisingly good" as his companion looked around dubiously.  I do believe the companion was in for a nice surprise! 

It's brightly painted (you can't miss the bright green building) turquoise, purples, reds, yellows - very cheerful.  Both times I've been there, the windows have been sparkling clean and the overall appearance is tidy and clean enough to pass a cursory inspection.  That's always a good start in my book.  The menu consists of basic Tex-Mex fare, some "American" offerings like steak, burgers, and chicken-fried steak, and of course there was seafood.  I was there for the Mexican food so, didn't really focus on the rest.  Today I was immediately served steaming hot freshly fried tortilla chips and some salsa to go with my Diet Coke (in a can - glass of ice on the side).  The chips were excellent.  I haven't had such good chips since I was last at PadreRitaVille!  The salsa is cooked - not my favorite as I have mentioned in the past - but it was good.  Not too spicy, but I did feel a bit of an after-burn if I waited too long for a sip of my coke!  Last time I was there, everyone at the table ordered a beef enchilada plate.  It was excellent and generous.  The "gravy" was beefy like my momma likes it.  I almost wanted to order that again today...but I feel, if you are going to write a review, you better try more than one item!

After so many rainy days, I'd kind of been wishing for some Carne Guisada.  Of course, today is back to the sunny humid tropics, but when I saw it on the menu I thought "ah ha" and asked the server if it was good.  She said "oh yes" so I said, well then that's what I'll have.  She said it came with corn tortillas and I said great, that's what I like with my Carne Guisada!  Boy, did I make the right choice.  It was falling apart tender chunks of lean beef in a delicious perfectly seasoned gravy/sauce.  Comes with a side of rice and beans and a small lettuce and tomato salad on the plate.  I have to say I ate every bite and sopped up all the sauce with my tortillas.  Good, good stuff.  I'll mention as I walked to the counter to check out - there was no seafood visible in the seafood case...so don't know about the Seafood Market part of the sign....and there was a white board I missed announcing the specials - Menudo and an all-you-can-eat seafood thingy.  Look for it as you walk in the side door - the sign is against the wall across from the check out area.

The only problem I see is that it is nap-inducing grub.  I am fighting to finish typing this before I crash on the couch for a brief siesta before picking up the teen from school.  I was so stuffed and leaning towards drowsy town when I left, I forgot to check their hours.  I feel fairly certain they are a breakfast and lunch establishment...but don't take my word for it.  If the neon "open" sign is on...well, they are!


SPI FLIP FLOP FOODIE RATING:

Mexiquito Restaurant on Urbanspoon
3 1/2 – Pretty Yummy - I feel my flip flops wanting to head back from time to time!
StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - you should see it within a few hours if approved! Spam or marketing comments are immediately deleted. Thank you!!!